Monday, December 20, 2010

Not my time to go

Today I woke up at 6am ready to catch my bus to go back home. I never thought that today would turn out the way it did but here it goes:

1.) My taxi was late picking me up from my house this morning. It was so late that I missed my bus to London. I had to pay for a [expensive] train ticket to London the same morning in order to make my flight. It was due to leave at 10am, getting me to London by 12:30. Purchasing my ticket at 6:50am, I thought everything would be fine getting home today. I was even able to go back to my flat to go to sleep for about an hour and a half.

2.) I wake up around 9 and the taxi arrives on time this go around. I get to the [freezing cold] train station at around 9:30, with plenty of time to spare before my train to London at 10. This is when I learn of the travel troubles that have once again rocked the public transportation of England. My train is delayed due to the weather [snow] and it does not arrive until 10:30. It was supposed to have me in London by 12:30, but "due to the weather," I did not arrive until 1:30.

3.) I must have been was half sleep until I arrived in London and realized that I am about to try to get to the busiest international airport in the world, during holiday travel. The Underground was so congested!!! & I did not understand how the "Underground" subway was effect by snow on the surface streets but there was nothing I could do. I rode it, standing like sardine in a can the whole way to Heathrow, and got off at the wrong terminal. Its now 2:40pm and my flight is due to leave at 3:25.

4.) I ran through the entire airport and made it to the terminal at 3:05. I knew it was close but ironically, the line to get checked-in was not long at all. I went to check-in and they told me "the closed the gate 45 minutes ago, we will not let you board."

Fast forward to now, I'm sitting in Heathrow airport, and will be sleeping in this...
I am flying standby tomorrow and hopefully I will get out of here. Basically what that means is because of the conditions, any seats not filled 45minutes before departure at turned to the standby people waiting to make it to the destination. I will be sleeping in front of the check in desk tonight. On the floor. The cement flood. At the airport. Praying I get home safely tomorrow.

On a good note, they did turn on the wifi throughout the airport and are giving out food vouchers left and right. Tomorrow is the last day flights leave London to Chicago from Heathrow until the 27th so It will be a long day. Fingers are Crossed, very tightly!!!

Well, I hope the next time I blog, I will be in the United States! CHEERS!


Oh yeah I almost forgot! I did take advantage of being here again. I saw the city at night and it is beautiful!!!

The London Eye

Me and Big Ben!!!
I guess being stuck in London is not so bad after all!!??

No comments:

Post a Comment